Friday, January 30, 2009

Hong Kong Food

What is a visit to any country without showing their food. I was a little disappointed with the variety of food in Hong Kong. Hoping to experience some interesting fare, I was instead faced with the usual, Wanton noodles and Tim Sum.

There were really no roadside stalls but I suppose Hong Kong has modernised and improved their hygiene levels after events like SARs and the Avian flu.

Anyway, here are some fare that I had during my stay there.

My first Hong Kong meal was this bolw of spicy noodles. Called the Mala noodles, it comes in 3 levels of spicy and this here is the lowest level..still quite potent.


Hong Kong is famous for their Tim Sum and this was at one of the more famous Tim Sum restrants in Tsim Sha Tsui, another district in Hong Kong. This is the standard Tim Sum fare and tasted good enough but really expected a better quailty after all the raving from friends.




This here is a stall at the Mong Kok area. The smell of the octopus tentacles was good and the crowd queuing made this stall one of the more popular in the area.






7 comments:

Shelli said...

Howard, thanks for stopping by my photo blog again. I see I've been missing some of yours, and I need to catch up! I'm actually going to try to start posting again tomorrow. I couldn't stay away for too long.

These photos are great, and they are reminding me that it's time for my dinner.

Anonymous said...

That first shot of the Mala noodles looks absolutely yummy. The others are all very well done. Not so sure I could eat octopus - my palate isn't that sophisticated. =)

Howard said...

Shelli - Good to hear you are back to your postings..they have been missed :) I hope you had a good dinner...maybe noodles?

Toni - The mala noodles were good...I totally finished that bowl before I started on a second. The octopus may be a little weird for some but sometimes you just have to live a little and try the weird. :)

Memories Of Mine said...

These dishes look delicious. The suburb I work in has a large asain community. I love heading out for lunch. My favourite place is a vetinmese place the food is good and cheap.

Tip of Toni when ording noodle soups always be aware of the special combination as they are often special - stage compared to western food.

Howard said...

Liss - The noodles were good but the Tim Sum was a little of a disappointment but I have heard that because of the Chinese New Year holiday, the top chefs may be away leaving only the lower skilled ones working hence the lower standard.

I totally love Vietnamese beef noodles...maybe someday I will get to travel to Vietnam and try the local version.

Elizabeth Halt said...

Mmmmm .. your photos made me hungry!

Howard said...

Elizabeth - Lol...glad that I didn't put off your appetite :)