Sunday, February 1, 2009

City Views of Hong Kong

More photos from my Hong Kong trip. These here are a selection of various scenes and views I saw during my holiday there. Many were interesting views but there were others that were a little "raw" but all were wonderful to take.

To start off first are some panoramic views of Hong Kong.

The first one is a view of Hong Kong city from "The Peak". This is not the top of the peak but at 2/3 of the way. It was a little misty as it was still cold weather there.


This second one is from the top floor of the hotel were I was staying. This is a view other view of Hong Kong city across the Hong Kong harbour.


Next set here are views from Mong Kok. This area is a famous shopping district where many of the shops open till past 1am. It was also here that I got my new Tamron lens from "Wing Shing", one of the more reliable shops in Hong Kong for camera equipment. Anyway, this areas was crowded and full of flavor, definately a must visit when in Hong Kong.

This Golden Retriever was decked out in the Chinese New Year finery on the streets of Mong Kok, Hong Kong.


Here are crowds in Mong Kok...this is the early crowds (1730hrs) that just gets more later in the night.


This was an unusal sight to me where stores placed a chair outside for people to rest their feet or wait.


Like in many cities around the world no matter how rich, there are always the very poor and at many street corners there old ladies lying on the street begging for money while others were a little more passive. Here are some scenes...

This old man looked like he had one leg and was fast asleep at a street corner in the cold.


There were others who instead of begging were more enterprising like this man in Mong Kok awaiting challengers to a game of Chinese chess. I am not sure how it works as no challengers came forward in the time I was there but the obvious aim is you pay to challenge him.


While this man being wrote chinese calligraphy with his feet.

4 comments:

Memories Of Mine said...

Wow I am behind in reading your posts. I will come back tomorrow and have propper read.

Hong Kong looks very interesting. I love the idea of the seats.

Howard said...

Liss - Thanks for stopping by :) Take your time..I still have another post to put up as soon as I finish uploading the photos.

Anonymous said...

Spectacular cityscape shots, Howard. The shots of the street people are hard to see, as they are in any country.

Howard said...

Toni - I agree with you that it is sometimes a little heartbreaking to see street people. When I saw 2 old ladies at a street corner each lying on the ground begging it was a sad sight (especially so during the Chinese New Year period) I could not take a photograph of that...but it was also great to see people put to use their talents and skills to good use like the chess player and the guy writing with his feet :)