Sunday, February 8, 2009

Thaipusam 2009

Thaipusam is a Hindu religious festival that is held once a year in honour of the Hindu deity "Lord Murugan". It is a time when worshippers show their devotion by usually either carry milk pots or the more extreme of carrying a 15kg (33lbs) “Kavadi” which involves alot of piercing of hooks or very long sharp spikes.

It really is a sight to see and not really for the faint hearted especially at the point of piercings and the removing. It is just unfortunately I am not able to be there in the evening to catch the really elobrate Kavadis.

These people have to walk about 4km (2.5miles) barefoot and in the day it is especially harder with the heat and the very hot road. It is made even more challenging with the fact that these devotees have fasted between 1 week and 3 days before.

Here are some shots from this morning. A warning for the squeamish, there are shots of body piercings!


The event is really a family event where members of the family and friends participate in the walk with the devotee to provide support.


Even the young participate. Some carry milk pots while there are the few that do the pirecing.


I mentioned milk pots. Devotees can opt to carry a milk pot instead of the extreme Kavadi due to reasons of their own. The expression on this man shows his quiet devotion.


My eye caught sight of this walking stick. Many Kavadi carriers use a walking stick to support themselves through the walk due to the weight of the Kavadi.


Lime is a symbol of protection. Yes, those limes have been hooked to his body.


The Kavadis and the rest of the shots.






Just a background. There were several shots taken while I was lying on the ground. In this shot you can see the man on the left smiling at me.

11 comments:

Shelli said...

I saw something about this today on the Internet, and I didn't have time to click on it then. I'm glad because I'd rather see your shots. Definitely not for the squeamish, but fascinating nonetheless! Wonderful shots. And I'm in awe of you that you'd lie on the ground in the street in the crowd to get those shots. I only do that in my backyard where no one can see me and wonder what the heck I'm doing!

Toni said...

Fantastic shots, Howard. It really is quite fascinating, but I can't imagine getting all of those piercings. Ouch!

Howard said...

Shelli - lol..thanks for the very sweet compliments :) The thing is when you are holding a DSLR, it seems that no one will question you when you are in all sorts of positions taking photos..so no need to be shy :)

Toni - You and I both..really ouch! The amazing thing is that they don't bleed from the piercings that go though the cheeks and tounge too. The power of faith I suppose.

Anonymous said...

wow. it's hard for me to imagine that sort of devotion - the guy with the limes in his legs. i can't imagine walking 2.5 miles like that! amazing.

but i agree with you - with faith, you can do anything.

Toni said...

Hey Howard, thought you might be interested in seeing this:
http://www.thedigitaltrekker.com/blog/2009/02/thaipusam-penang.html This is Matt Brandon's site - he's an NGO, travel photographer and does excellent work. I immediately thought of you when I saw his post.

Howard said...

Maya - Yup..you can do anything if you have enough faith. The limes you can images are pretty decent sized and that number would weigh a fair bit...up till now, science has yet to explain how they do it.

Toni - Thank you so much for the link and of thinking of me :) I am now explorinng the site.

Memories Of Mine said...

Hey Howard, they are amazing shots. I love the first one of the little girl. It's a great piece of photojournalism.

All I can say is, I am glad I wasn’t there to watch the piercing, I might have fainted. LOL!

Thanks for your good wishes about the bush Fires.

Howard said...

Liss - Thanks too bad my Journalism course don't have photojournalism in it.

I am glad I was not for there for the piercing too!

Been chatting with my Aussie friends abt the fires and floods...it's really bad this year isn't it? Anyway, take care in whatever.

Elizabeth Halt said...

oh wow. oh wow. oh wow. that's about all I can say. my body is aching just thinking about it.

I'm also amazed that you laid down! Great photos, so thanks! :)

Howard said...

Elizabeth - LOL!..I'm glad I am able to have such a reaction thru the photos :)

The things I would do for my photos...just wished I could stay longer but I am usually limited in photography time with family taking precedence over everything else somethings my shots are kinda rushed.

Anonymous said...

hello howard. somehow i think i have been here before but i don't know from where. what a fascinating post of this ritual! goodness there is nothing i can other than how wonderful that you could be there for even a part of the ceremony! thank you for your visit to my blog and the generous comment you left me :)