Sunday, November 30, 2008

Kampong Glam

Ok..back into colour mode. Springtree Road's black and white challenge was really fun and I enjoyed seeing the world in B/W and I am now having some difficulty getting back into colour.

This morning I went over to the Malay quarter of Singapore. Well, it’s not really the Malay quarter now but more like a tourist showcase of Malay culture of past. The area is called Kampong Glam and it’s become full of fashionable cafes and shops. However, you can still see some of its old heritage:-




The Sultan Mosque or the "Masjid Sultan" which is not the biggest Mosque in Singapore but a very historical one, still attracts many Muslims in Singapore to come and worship.:-



There are also “Sarabat” stalls that make great hot drinks like coffee, tea (in malay it’s teh) and ginger tea. Here you can see a glass of my tea with milk which I took a mouthful first before snapping it also, the owner here was really friendly and allowed me photograph him:-



Well, it’s not all Malay cultural stuff here, I did find this very interesting quilt store. It is closed on Sundays but I did get it’s store font here :-



Ok to end the tour here, a local resident of the area:-

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful captures! I know what you mean about it being hard to get back into color mode. I've really enjoyed the b&w - it gives a whole different perspective than color. I really like seeing your glimpses into Singapore's culture. Very interesting images.

Elizabeth Halt said...

great photos! I love the cat's expression. :)

is that colorful tile a long patio, or a sidewalk? It's so beautiful.

Memories Of Mine said...

It looks very up market here but lovely all the same. I like the photos of the mosque

Howard said...

Toni - Yeah..still adjusting to colour but getting there. Christmas in Singapore is full of decorations so I hope to have some up soon.

Elizabeth - The cat was fun to photograph but it was a little unsure of me so it took a few shots

The tiles you see are part of the walkway or veranda (depending on which term you prefer).

Liss - The mosque is not really all that big but because of the cramp area it's in, it was hard to get a good shot from far without any obstruction from trees.

Shelli said...

Lovely photos! I especially love the one of the veranda with the bicycle.

Thanks for taking me along with you on your stroll.

Anonymous said...

beautiful photos, as always, howard.

Howard said...

Thanks Maya...I really enjoyed myself walking around town but I am always limited by time before I have to pick up my wife and son from their class and really wish I could find a day where I spend it fully on the streets :)