Sunday, November 2, 2008

Little India

In Singapore, we have people from many races and cultures working and living in Singapore and as such many have a little corner; like Little India, it provides a slice of their homeland where they can gather with friends, buy produce and products that they are familar with and just remind them of home.

On the web, you will find great photos of the main streets and stores but for me, I love the backlanes and allys. Many would be afraid or unsure about walking these isolated places as vice and all sorts hang out there but I find that interesting textures and scenes can be found there. Anyway, this is Singapore and really, it's still quite safe even in the backlanes. Ok, I can write pages on this place but its the photos that you are here for:-






Ok, Maya at Springtree Road is having a Black and White challege for the month of November and it's quite an interesting concept. I can only "blame" Liss for getting me deeper into photography by bring such challenges to my attention. Anyway, I hope to be able to add more B/W images soon.

My contribution to this challenge was also taken at Little India. These are my 1st shots in B/W, usually I would play around with converting coloured photos to B/W but not here. These were taken in monocrome mode and I think they really bring out the mood and the "roughness" of the area:-


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Gorgeous photos, Howard. Thanks for taking up the challenge. I know that your photos will add a wonderful flavor to the project.

Memories Of Mine said...

Howard: I am so excited to be back from my trip when I see photographs like this. I love the vibrancy the colour photos portray and I especially love the last B/W photos, it really makes the texture on the wall stand out.

Howard said...

Maya - Thanks for the comments and I have found it a challenge to take things in B/W...it's wonderful just I haven't developed an eye for it just yet..more pictures will do the trick

Liss - Great to have you back from your trip. The whole area was just full of colour and it was an interesting walk. I was pretty glad that the texture of the brick wall came out alright..I am afraid my B/W skills are pretty poor :)

gba said...

nice series..

Shelli said...

These are wonderful photos! I especially love the top one...that green is amazing! And I think your first black and white photos are amazing too.

I have not been to Little India in Singapore, but I did visit the real India once, and I know what you mean about exploring the back alleys. Boy I wish I had had my camera with me then, although I took a small point and shoot on purpose...to feel less conspicuous.